October 5, 2012

Isthmus Indie Awards - Jeff Maurer / Markus Candinas

Isthmus called me to make portraits of Isthmus Independent Business Award winners Jeff Maurer of Fresh Madison Market and Markus Candinas of Candinas Chocolatier for their contributions to the community as independent business owners in Madison, WI.

Jeff Maurer - Fresh Madison Market
Jeff has brought a beautiful full service gourmet grocery store to downtown located in the University Square complex serving the UW Campus. This past summer he also launched Freshmobile, a 44-foot long trailer mobile grocery store to bring fresh produce to areas of Madison without convenient access to groceries also know as food deserts.

When I met with Jeff to make the portrait at the store, I could tell he was busy man, and I needed to be quick in getting the job done. To keep a low profile and out of the way of customers, I set up a single light with an SBII mini-softbox in the produce section next to the wall of windows. This was to allow some natural north light to balance out with the flash. I grabbed Jeff took several shots and was done within 15 minutes.



Markus Candinas - Candinas Chocolates
After a 3 year apprenticeship in Switzerland and 2 years heading up the pastry and chocolate division for a 125 year-old business, Markus opened Candinas Chocolatier in 1994. He has won many awards and accolades ever since and has expanded his offering through his downtown Madison retail store on the Capitol Square.

I met Markus at his downtown chocolate shop in the morning. The decor is simple and clean with the chocolate showcase counter being the focus. We had a nice chat about retail business (I owned one for 7 years myself) and he offered me some delish samples of his chocolates. Markus was laid back and soft spoken and very nice to work with. He was patient while I was having a little difficulty getting the light so it wouldn't reflect in the glass of the case and the prints on the wall. I managed in the end and like the results.

 


Read the full Isthmus Article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted.